Magnesium is an important mineral that is responsible for production of energy, contraction in muscles and leveling cholesterol. Ions of magnesium regulate over 300 biochemical reactions in the human body by playing the role of enzymes. They also play a significant role in the reactions that form and use ATP, the fundamental unit of energy inside the body cells.
What are the functions of magnesium?
- Magnesium has a far-reaching impact on human body and this is why we should include magnesium in our routine diet. Magnesium regulates and maintains things-
- Enzyme activity – Activated enzymes help in proceeding thousands of bio-chemical processes.
- Production of energy and ATP – ATP is the energy storage unit of the body cells. Magnesium maintains ATP and gives energy to perform various tasks.
- RNA and DNA – the internal instructions of the body for developing proteins and new cells.
- Mineral balance – magnesium helps balance the minerals in human body as it is necessary to maintain life of the cell.
Magnesium is the second most abundant element found in human cells and the forth most abundant positively charged ion present in the human body. Magnesium serves hundreds of functions in the cells of the body.
Magnesium can be found naturally in many forms like-
- Magnesium chloride – it is naturally found in the sea
- Magnesite – It is an insoluble rock salt that has its second name – magnesium carbonate.
- In plant matter – magnesium is also present in chlorophyll as the central element.
Out of them, magnesium chloride is the easily absorbed and readily accessible magnesium. Since it is water soluble, magnesium chloride dissociates, its absorption rate is high.
All organic matter including animals, plants, and the human body is build with many elements like carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen.
Once you intake magnesium rich food and supplements, such as magnesium citrate, it is broken down and released to form independent atoms of magnesium.
Magnesium is necessary for breaking down of the fat and glucose. It helps body cells to produce proteins, enzymes, and antioxidants like glutathione. It helps in development of DNA and RNA.
Deficiency of magnesium can result in thyroid and diabetes. So, for healthy body and robust DNA structure, you must eat more magnesium. You can even take tablets and supplements having magnesium as a base ingredient.
This article is published by magnesium citrate manufacturers India. They explained why magnesium is a critical mineral for human body. If you have any question, ask in comments.