Many people are in search of How to link Aadhaar card with PAN number because Indian Government had made it compulsory. In order to curb tax evasion, it is very important to link your PAN card with your Aadhaar card. To know how to do so, it is important to have a good knowledge about your PAN card and Aadhaar card first.
What is PAN?
PAN or Permanent Account Number is a 10-digit alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department for taxation purposes.
What is an Aadhaar Number?
Aadhaar number is a 12-digit unique identity number for an individual issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
How to Link Aadhaar card with PAN Card?
The Government of India has recently made it mandatory for every taxpayer to link their Aadhaar card with PAN card for income tax e-filing. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley implemented this rule in the Finance Bill of 2017-18 to curb tax evasion through the use of multiple PAN cards by a single taxpayer.
There are two ways to link your PAN and Aadhaar cards.
Under this method, you have to follow the below steps:
- Go to the website of the Income Tax Department – www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Click on the option on the left pane to ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- The website will open an application form where you have to fill out all the following details:
- PAN number
- Aadhaar number
- Full name as per Aadhaar card
- Once you fill out all the details, it will show you a Captcha Code. Make sure that you type the letters and digits identical to how it appears on the Captcha Code.
- After this, click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
If all your details on Aadhaar card and PAN card match, the linking will be confirmed. However, in case there is any mismatch, you will get an OTP on your mobile number registered with Aadhaar. Once you provide this OTP, the linking will be confirmed.
Under this method, you first need to register yourself on the portal of Income Tax Filing. If you have registered, you need to follow the below steps:
- You need to go to the website of the Income Tax Department – www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Once you log in, a window screen will pop up asking you to link Aadhaar card and PAN card. If this screen does not appear, you need to go to Profile Settings and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ there.
- Since you are already registered, your details will automatically appear on the form. In case if any field is blank, you can fill it up.
- You need to match these details with those on the Aadhaar card. Once verified, type your Aadhaar number, Captcha Code and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
After the verification of all the details, the linking will be confirmed.
Is the Linking of PAN and Aadhaar Cards Mandatory?
Yes, it is mandatory to get your Aadhaar card linked with the PAN card for taxation purpose. You will not be able to file your income tax returns if you fail to link them.
Linking your Aadhaar card with PAN card will be useful to you while filing your tax returns. It will help you to file your returns online without any hassle and also reduce the unnecessary paperwork with regards to sending acknowledgements to the Income Tax Department.
This linking is useful for the country on the whole as it will curb tax evasions. It will also help identify people who misuse this facility by using multiple PAN cards for one name.
Once you finish linking your PAN to Aadhaar, you can go about your financial dealings without worrying. You may also want to check out pre-approved loans offered by Bajaj Finserv for easy Personal Loans online, home loans, business loans and a host of other financial products. All you have to do is share a few basic details and check out your pre-approved offer.